Medium an online publishing platform. The platform is an example of social journalism, having a hybrid collection of amateur and professional people and publications, or exclusive blogs or publishers on Medium, and is regularly regarded as a blog host.
Medium has also started to develop something called a Publication. A Medium Publication (find our publication New Brand Ideas here) is a shared space for stories written around a common theme or topic, usually by multiple authors. Many companies use Publications as extensions of their blogs - styling them and keeping them on-brand, and using them to showcase articles written by their team.
Medium is a great way of sharing original blog posts that you have already written on your website. It has a link which allows you to import a story from anywhere on the internet to publish on your Medium account. This can then, in turn, be submitted to your Medium Publication and published by the editor.
How to Import Posts onto Medium & your Medium Publication
- Write a blog post on Elucidata. Once the post is live, copy the link and head over to Medium: https://medium.com/ Create a personal Medium account for yourself.
- Once you have this up and running, head to the Medium import page: https://medium.com/p/import
- Paste your link from the Elucidata blog into the Medium import box and follow the steps through to re-publishing your post.
- When you are creating this new post, remember to change text and reformat images accordingly. It is worth bearing in mind that Medium doesn’t import images for you, it is best to keep them in a folder and upload them on the post before you publish.
- Another thing to remember before you publish are your tags. These are important for your post for a number of reasons. Adding relevant tags to your post will help with its discoverability around the platform. You can add up to five tags per post. Tags are also a great way of organising your content on your Publication. A Publication can have multiple ‘Tabs’ which function as a horizontal nav around the space. Each blog post can be filed under one of these ‘Tabs’ through relevant tags. So if you want your post to appear in the ‘Code’ ‘Tab’, then make sure to add the tag ‘Code’ when you publish your article.
- Once you have published your article on your personal account, then you are ready to submit it to a Publication.
- Click the top right hand Settings Cog Icon to reveal a drop down of Edit Story or Share Friend Link. Click on Edit Story
- Once you have finished editing your story, click on the Publish link and head down to Add To Publication.
- Choose the Elucidata Publication from the drop down (make sure you are following the Publication from the start, otherwise this won’t work) and then hit Add Draft. As a writer, there is nothing more for you to do. An Editor on the Elucidata Publication will be able to review your article, edit it and publish it whenever they want.
- If you have been granted access as an Editor, you can publish your article yourself on the Publication’s back-end.
How to Create A Publication (relevant to Editors only)
- Click on your avatar image in the top-right corner of the page and choose Publications from the menu.
- Click Create to make a new a publication.
- Enter your publication's name, description, and upload your publication avatar. These steps are required to create a publication.
- Click Next in the lower right corner to go to the publication layout screen. Under the Homepage screen, you customise your publication's homepage.
- Click Create to create your publication.